The School Social Work Association of Texas is a professional organization that advocates for School Social Work services. We are a newly formed organization and look forward to having a solid base of members that can help us advocate for the children of Texas and for our profession.
As a School Social Worker or friend of School Social Work, your input and experience is integral to the success of our organization and ultimately to the success of our profession. Committee service from membership greatly increases the ability of our organization to do the work necessary to improve Social Work services in schools.
If you are not yet a member, please consider joining and becoming part of the only organization in Texas that advocates for the profession of School Social Work. Exciting changes in education are happening across the state and across the nation. Become part of and help influence change by getting involved in SSWAT!
- To advocate and promote services that will enhance the opportunities of all children.
- To promote positive relationships among the home, the school, and the community and effective communication of services.
- To strengthen the profession of School Social Work by maintaining and increasing the number of School Social Workers and informing members on public policy related to the profession.
- To encourage professional growth through educational and in-service opportunities.
- To provide a forum for mutual concerns.
- To promote School Social Workers' effectiveness through evaluation and research.
Two Types of Membership
FULL MEMBER--anyone licensed by the State as a Social Worker at the Bachelor's level or higher.
AFFILIATE MEMBER--Students, Other professionals or community members interested in helping School Social Workers.
In addition to SSWAT Goals and Activities, we have developed the following timeline for establishing ourselves as a highly active organization:
Phase 1 (complete): Gather demographic information about School Social Workers throughout the State, Increase membership, Establish Communications with members, Gain non-profit status
Phase 2 (Now): Establish Legislative agenda, Professional networking program, Continue to increase membership
Phase 3 (2-3 years): Expland regional voice, Advocacy, Promote professional development, Re-establish Social Work position at TEA
Board Members and Committee Chairs:
President: Lara Hulin, Houston
Vice President: Kate Amerson, Austin
Secretary: Bolu Dosumu, Dallas/Ft. Worth
Treasurer: Ben Reed, San Antonio
Parliamentarian: Angie Lutts, Dallas/Ft. Worth
Member at Large: Blanca McGee, Dallas/Ft. Worth
Membership Chair: Renee Henderson, Austin
Legislative Committee: Vacant
Public Relations: Vacant
If you would like to get involved by serving on a committee, please send us a message using the Contact SSWAT tab above!